Presented by the Delaware Geographic Data Committee
In Memory of Vernon C. Svatos
The Delmarva GIS Conference is proud to continue a tradition that began in 2005: the Delaware Geographic Community Service Award, presented in memory of the late Vernon C. Svatos. In 2016, the Delaware Geographic Community Service Award was renamed the Delmarva Geographic Community Service Award. This expanded the scope and allowed the entire Delmarva GIS Community* to participate.
ABOUT THE AWARD
This prestigious award is presented to an individual or group that has demonstrated outstanding service to the Delmarva GIS Community. The recipient need not reside in the state of Delaware, but contributions should relate directly to the Delmarva GIS Community. It is the intention of the award to recognize those who, either through a single effort or project or through consistent commitment, supported or fostered our geographic community.
ABOUT VERNON C. SVATOS
Vern Svatos is considered by many to be one of the early pioneers of GIS in Delaware. From his early days with the Water Resources Agency (WRA) for New Castle County in the 1970s, through his career at the University of Delaware (having returned to the WRA after it was subsumed into the University), Vern demonstrated a commitment to the furtherance of geographic knowledge, and to the education and training of young people in the field he loved. His untimely passing was a great loss to the GIS and wider Geographic communities, but the lives he touched will keep his memory alive. Many of those he influenced have gone on to careers across the country in geospatial fields.
Nominees must have a direct relationship to the Delmarva GIS Community.
Service-based contributions from the nominees must be related to one or more of the following criteria:
- Service to the Delmarva GIS Community
- Leadership to the Delmarva GIS Community
- Mentoring and guidance of the Delmarva GIS Community
- Technological advances for the Delmarva GIS Community
- Policy advances for the Delmarva GIS Community
- Outreach to the Delmarva GIS Community
The Delmarva Geographic Community Service Award Committee, comprised of past award recipients, oversees the award process and decision.
The nomination deadline is Friday, February 9, 2018
- Nominations should come from a third party (no self-nominations), and can be secret (the nominee need not be informed of the nomination).
- Nominations should include a completed nomination form and a one-page textual justification.
- The Award Committee reviews the submissions and accepts all nominees who meet the eligibility criteria.
- The Award Committee chair notifies the accepted nominees. They are asked to submit a vita and other supporting documents to the chair.
- One nominee will be selected by the Award Committee as the award recipient.
- The winner will be announced at the Delmarva GIS Conference.
Make sure that contact information is included on the nomination form. Questions may be directed to Nicole M. Minni, Delmarva Geographic Community Service Award Committee, Chair.
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- phone: (302) 645-4353
* Delmarva GIS Community is defined as all of Delaware and the Eastern Shore counties of Maryland (Cecil, Caroline, Dorchester, Kent, Queen Anne’s, Somerset, Talbot, Wicomico) and the Eastern Shore counties of Virginia (Accomack and North Hampton).